Generosity is a wonderful thing.
Wise giving is a skill we can learn and hone.
Here are some questions to ask yourself at this time of year when many groups are vying for your hard earned income.
- If the charity has the resources to advertise on TV do they need my money?
- Can my donation be matched to achieve better results?
- Will my money go directly to the need?
- What percentage goes to overhead?
- Is the group asking local?
- Can I see what happens with my gift?
- Is my donation tax deductible? This is a question for your tax preparer.
There are charity monitoring groups like Guidestar & Charity Navigator that may help you check out your charity. If it is a smaller local group, you can always visit your State’s website to see if they are registered to raise funds.
Incorporated non-profits, who do fundraising, make annual tax reports that are public information. Here is a website where you can check out your favorite charity.